Are you planning to have surgery? Your physical therapist can help you understand your procedure, precautions, and self-care for before and after the surgery. Pre-hab physical therapy can improve your strength and range of motion before the procedure, setting you up for improved outcomes and success post-op. Schedule a pre-hab appointment today!
The surgeon fixed your structural problem. Let us help you with your functional recovery and get back in the game.
Insight Rehab post-op physical therapy will educate you on your expected recovery process, help you understand any precautions from your surgeon, and teach you the exercises that will help you regain your strength and range of motion. We use hands-on treatment to reduce your pain and swelling, break up scar tissue, and improve your structure and function. Our goal is to help you achieve your goals, for you to get back to doing the things you love.
Post-op rehab at Insight Rehab is different from your average clinic. For optimal recovery, it is essential to look at the whole body, not just the area of your surgery. As you recover, your body has to adjust to major structural changes around your surgery, and you will likely have post-operative weakness, imbalances, and possibly new implants. It is critical to identify and work to correct any compensations that inevitably occur as a result of surgery, to prevent these compensations from creating other issues or injuries down the road. For example, wearing a walking boot can lead to back pain, as the boot makes one leg longer and heavier than the other and changes how you take each step. Your therapist will be your guide to developing personalized strategies for both work and home in order to prevent further injury during your post-operative recovery.
Why a physical therapist is critical to your post-surgical healing process:
- Reducing pain and swelling
- Education on precautions and recovery
- Working as a team with your surgeon
- Monitoring for infection or complications
- Improving blood circulation and lymph flow
- Increasing range of motion
- Enhancing mobility and biomechanics
- Better muscle function and coordination
- Improving balance and gait
- Correcting posture and strengthening core
As soon as you are out of surgery, your bones, muscles, and soft tissues undergo a period of healing and regeneration. Development of excess scar tissue and immobilization can increase pain and swelling, limit your range of motion, reduce flexibility, impair function, and affect the overall surgical outcome. Careful and skilled mobilization of your joints and tissues during this time can have a huge impact, affecting the generation of scar tissue around the surgical region, and improving your functional outcomes.
We have extensive experience in post-op rehab, including:
- Total joint replacement (shoulder, hip, knee, ankle)
- Rotator cuff repair
- ACL/MCL/LCL reconstruction
- Ankle or foot reconstruction
- Spinal surgery (fusion, disc replacement, laminectomy, discectomy)
- Tendon repairs (Achilles, patellar, tennis elbow)
- Fracture instrumentation and repair
- Labral repair (shoulder, hip)
- Joint stabilization surgery after dislocation
- Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- And many more!
Let us work with you to develop your custom post-operative recovery plan!